On Thursday, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said that following a recruitment process in 8 of its regions, 41 domestic women cricketers had signed full-time professional contracts.
After the launch of The Hundred competition was postponed to 2021 due to the Coronavirus pandemic, some uncontracted women cricketers were denied what was to be their only source of revenue earlier this year.
In June, the ECB had said it would pay a regional retainer to 25 domestic players as an interim solution method. On Thursday, it disclosed that 16 players had been added to the list and all of them had progressed to full-time terms.
Clare Connor, ECB women's cricket director disclosed in a statement that the introduction of these 41 professionals, in addition to the17 centrally contracted England women's cricketers is the most important step forward for the women's match in recent years.